June 14, 2011

First Aid Kit Champ

A long time ago in a bungalow far away, my whole family pitched in to help get me ready to move away for school. My mom collected all kinds of kitchen things I would need, my 15-year-old brother coloured all over said things ("I'll miss you" would have sufficed) and my dad made me a first aid kit.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of travelling with my dad, he makes a mean first aid kit. I'm pretty sure that he always has at least Advil and/or Tylenol on his person, but he seems to kick up to Benadryl, bandaids, gauze, etc. for actual outings; anything longer than a couple of days and the suture kit comes along. He doesn't mess around!

This is partly why the first aid kit my dad made for me to take to residence is so awesome, but only partly. I remember sitting in the living room talking to my mom while Dad put the finishing touches on it - or rather, as he tried to close the lid to the tupperware container he'd so carefully packed full of bandaids, medicine, scissors, gauze and alcohol swabs. After a while, I noticed that he seemed to have gotten the lid on but was still fussing with it. Upon investigation, it turned out that he had taken a red sharpie and carefully drawn an enormous red cross on the top of the white lid. I can still see the proud smile on his face as he held it up to show Mom and me.

I was not impressed.

I think the outburst went something like, "Dad, it doesn't need a cross! I know it's a first aid kit! What else would it be? I can see everything inside it! Why are you such a dork?! You wrecked it! Whine whine whine complain complain complain!" He just looked at me sheepishly and my mom snickered. Still, it was a great kit and it  eventually came with me to school, cross and all.

Despite pitching such a ridiculous fit when he first coloured all over it (again, "I'll miss you" would have done the trick), I have to admit that the sharpie cross makes me smile every time I see it - which, given my highly accident-prone nature - is more often than I'd care to admit.

All this is to say that I'm building my first aid / health kit for my trip and it's going to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment