July 1, 2011

Hurry Up & Wait

The past few days have been crazy. I feel like I was running around much like a chicken with my head cut off for most of it, working really hard on my to-do list and trying to see a few people before I left. Thanks to my dear mother and a couple of friends, I actually got to cross everything off! That being said, my mom did have to remind me a few times that I was going to have to leave whether the list had been conquered or not, so I did have to adjust my expectations a few times. Still, it feels good to have it all done! (It just occurred to me that after all that, I didn't erase it. Oops.)

So after crossing off the last task around 12:30 this morning, I fell into bed and was woken again at 2:30 because it was already time to go to the airport. It was definitely strange to by driving in my neighbourhood, ready to leave for the day, while groups of other people were just finishing up their nights on Whyte. The trip to the airport was uneventful, but it was there (of course) that after a week of hurrying, the waiting began.

Mom said the real challenge would be not falling asleep before getting on the 6:45 flight to Houston, and she was right. Luckily, EIA actually offers free wi-fi that's fast enough to actually accomplish things, so I occupied myself by completely overhauling the design for this blog, then regretting it and changing it all back. I also remembered that I had a camera (this is a shot of Rufus, just chillin') and tried to find a way to sneak a photostream onto the blog so that I don't have to embed every photo I take into a post like this one. I'm really thinking that it might be worthwhile to put a select few in posts for now and put a link to tumblr or flickr for the rest of them, but I'm not sure.


In any case, there will definitely be photos, like this one from the flight from Edmonton to Houston. I've always like the view of fields from the air, but it was weird to see fields that weren't like the patchwork-quilt ones we have at home! I figured that we were somewhere over Kansas when I took this one, and a bit of quick googling suggests that the fields are round like that because of the way they're watered. (The more you know...) It's been cool to walk around the airport noticing all the things that are different - like the enormous fountain "sodas" and the fact that all the signs are in English and Spanish instead of English and French.

Still... I arrived shortly after noon and I won't be boarding until 5:30... Time to listen to some Coffee Break Spanish and go for a walk, I suppose. Oh, and thought I haven't seen anything to suggest its existence today, happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment