August 26, 2011

Me Voy

I had initially intended to be in bed by now because Mauricio (the taxi driver) is going to pick us up at 4:00 AM. I had also intended to have blogged by now, obviously, but that hasn't happened. The past few days have been so crazy that I simply haven't had the time to sit down and reflect or write. I'm making time now, but it's probably way too late for my brain to be blogging so I can't make any promises about quality.

Today was a busy one. After spending a little bit of time in surgery and changing my 90 cordobas worth of change into usable bills, I went back to the hospital to say some goodbyes. I was sad to be leaving all of the new friends I've made in my past month at the hospital, but I have to admit that it was also really cool to realize just how many friends I have there! After saying goodbye to Ivania and Esperanza, I ran into David, Salvadora, Dina, Fatima, Dr Sandino... I'm so happy to have connected with so many staff here, and so grateful for the patience and warmth they've shown me. The same goes for the doctors and nurses at the clinic; I'm so lucky!

After saying a lot of adios-es, I did a little bit of walking around town because I'd meant to take some pictures of Jinotepe before leaving. I got a few important ones I'd been thinking of for a while, but then I got carried away and thought, "Oh, I need a photo of Palí! And the rum cake place! And the market!" Basically, I wanted to take a picture of everything that was important to me so that I don't forget it. News flash: that's impossible. This country and this community have so much to offer and there's no way I can represent it in photos. I'll just have to stick with the memories and the lessons I've learned. 

(Don't worry, I'll talk all about those lessons once I've slept a bit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment