August 18, 2011

Where Everybody Knows Your Name*

When I walk past the pulperia just north of BaseCamp, there are always a few boys hanging out in the steet who yell "¡Estefanie! Hello, ¡Estefanie!" If I go into the pulperia, the muchacho there always has a 1.5 L of Fuenta Pura water and a strawberry candy ready for me.

Further up the hill on my way to the clinic, I walk past the estación de bomberos. There are usually a few guys - and a puppy or two - who'll wave from their perches on the trucks. I see them all around town as well, though. We ran into Oscar and Chino twice on Sunday, actually, while they were out collections donations for the cuerpo de bomberos. It just occurred to me that we could see what they're up to tomorrow and hang out once more before John leaves for San Juan!

When I actually get to the clinic, there are people there I know, too. (Inorite?) I don't usually see much of Roxana and Elio outside the centro de salud, but I see Cristhian at the hospital now and then. I know most of the nurses in emerge and shock and we have a lot of fun together. The language barrier actually makes things a lot funnier most of the time! I sad to be leaving so many wonderful people behind so soon - but glad that they have Facebook so that we can keep in touch.

Still, I think what I like best is walking around and recognizing people - nurses from the hospital, patients from the clinic, students from the school. The other day, the Mother Superior from the colegio came to visit a patient at the hospital and she recognized me in emerge. Still, I think my favourite encounter so far happened today, when the lady who helps me cash my traveller's cheques waved to me in the market:)

It's way too late for full paragraphs and transition sentences, though, so I'll hit you with some point-form facts:
- Santiago is Saint James. What?!
- Brianne and I bought a beautiful necklace that Eve made and we're going to share it.
- There has been no water in the house for nine hours now.
- I saw one of the patients from Tuesday's accident in the OR today. Roxana's brother was assisting!
- Roxana dictated a referral today and let me write it! We were actually busy in the clinic and it was wonderful.
- Brianne's leaving tomorrow:(

*Cheesy, I know. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment