April 4, 2011

Blog Neglect - I Has It

This post will not be a masterpiece anything special. It's just a reminder that I haven't abandoned my blog or the project - but since I haven't abandoned school either, that's where all my energy is these days. Instead, here are Five Fun Facts*.

1. Boyfriend and I participated in the 5K DOT Dash at Victoria Park yesterday. I say participated quite deliberately because while I did run quite a bit, I also walked a slightly smaller bit. But I ran more than I walked, which I consider a success given the tiny, tiny screams coming from my irritated bronchioles the whole time. It was almost fun by the end, though, and it was nice to see Charley! (Bonus fun fact: Cold-induced asthma and running in April do not mix well for me.)

2. A friend of mine who spent some time in Ghana a few years ago mentioned that while she was preparing for her trip, she went to MEC once a week to buy just one more new thing. I think this is a brilliant plan! I've been window-shopping - if you can call it that - at mec.ca for weeks, but it'll be extra satisfying to make several trips throughout May and June. I've got my eye on a sweet sleeping bag, but I'm also pretty excited to build my first aid kit with my dad.

3. I applied for two scholarships at the end of last month to help fund my trip. We'll see how things turn out - I'm trying not to have high hopes and instead focusing on the fact that I managed to write a giant essay for one of them without too much stress. I also had to submit a resume for the other, so I spent some time fine-tuning mine at CAPS and really learned a lot!

4. I'm working out the details of my next fundraiser! It won't be until the beginning of May, but if you're a coffee aficionado like my roommate - or a regular coffee drinker, or a person who works in an office where people also drink coffee, or at all interested in buying some coffee - this is for you: Organic, fair-trade coffee made with beans from Nicaraguan farms and sold by a Canadian company. Get excited!

5. Don't get too excited, though, because it's April, which means that there are many hours of studying, projects and exams between us and said coffee. (And freedom.) Despite all the window-shopping, guidebook-reading and extraneous research, my main focus is supposed to be school right now.

There you have it! Now I can at least say that I've written a post in April and that I haven't left the poor Nicaragua Notebook floundering in cyberspace for weeks.

*These are true, but I don't know if I'd call them facts. Also, the "fun" part is relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment